Hackerspace in Strassen
Since September 30, 2009, syn2cat can be found in Strassen, close to the "les Thermes" in the rue du cimetière, opposite the small fire station.
The place in Strassen is quite close to being perfect...it has 4 separate 60m2 rooms of which 2 are available to syn2cat. Every room has a seperate lock on the door. There are separate toilets for each sex and a small "serverroom" where the existing cabling infrastructure comes together. Situation is excellent...bus is just 50m away, parking spaces about 20 in front, 50 more further away. Direct proximity to "Les Thermes" and its Restaurant/Bar facilities. (Go get a plunge while the space's closed ;))
The space's address is
- 11, rue du cimetière (am Hueflach)
- L-8018 Strassen
How to get there
For more detailed information, check mobiliteit.lu
- by bus (23-27 min)
- Use the bus #8 from Luxembourg/City towards Bertrange/Waassertuerm. Get out at Strassen/Grand-Duchesse Charlotte, cross the street and take the passage way directly after Raiffeisenbank, turn right, after ~100m turn left and continue past the city hall and the soccer field to find the space.
- Detailed schedule of the bus #8 run can be found by MainStation to Strassen - Strassen to Mainstation
- Alternatively, use the bus #222 (which doesn't run on sundays!).
- Get out at Wollefsheck (near McDonalds), walk to the space. (~8 min | blue path)
- Detailed schedule of the bus #222 run: Centre to Strassen - Strassen to Centre.
- by train (5-6 min)
- From Luxembourg Railway-Station, use the train in direction of Kleinbettingen, Gare
- Detailed schedule MainStation to Strassen - Strassen to MainStation.
- Walk from the railway station to the space. (~20 min | red path)
More Pictures on the Pictures page.
- Rules - there are a few rules and procedures we have agreed on adhering to.
Imagining the perfect place
A HackerSpace should be spacious with preferably a few smaller rooms to have different projects in. The Kitchen is nearly a must (see Social Cooking) but it should be a bit shielded from any other rooms to avoid any smells. A Bathroom is an interesting feat. The Living Room Spacious enough to have a couch and big table A good public transport link is a must too
The perfect place would have:
- A low rent
- Natural light / windows to open
- Parking or at least the possibility to access it with a truck to (un)load stuff
- A bus stop or railway station not too far away and available till late
- Separate entry (not shared with the rest of the tenants) so that we can install our own access system
- No (or deaf) neighbors
- Easy to reach
- Some storage rooms (basement/cellar) for server
- Broadband Internet access
- Possibility to install machinery / tools for making things à la Bre
- Exhibition area
- Conference/presentation area
- Small room without windows/light (for photography stuff)
- Access to Food (either Restaurants or Markets)